• Breast Cancer Research is a voluntary based charity located at the Clinical Science Institute, University College Hospital Galway.
• The key objective is to conduct relevant, ethical research into the biology of breast cancer, to determine the cause of this disease and improve the treatment for patients.
• Breast Cancer Research also work to raise awareness of breast cancer and fundraise to provide improved breast cancer services for women throughout Ireland.
• Up to 2000 new cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in Ireland each year. As yet breast cancer can not be prevented, its incidence can only be reduced by early detection. The cause and mechanism of action of breast cancer remain unknown.
• Treatments are available for breast cancer but ongoing research is essential to ensure the optimal treatment for all patients, to reduce their side effects, improve their quality of life and, primarily, increase their chance of survival.
• Breast Cancer Research funds post-doctoral scientists and postgraduate researchers and provides financial support for the running of the research laboratory.
St. Laurence’s Community Complex (Our Venue)
The Community Complex at Old Grange was officially opened in May 2006. The complex provides a focal point for the rural people, both young and old, of Narraghmore, Calverstown, Ballitore and the surrounding areas. The complex plays hosts to a number of clubs including Indoor Bowls; Badminton : Table Tennis ; Martial Arts and Basketball.
For those not involved in sporting activities the complex hosts a number of Annual Talent Competition, Art & Crafts Exhibition, Theatre Productions, Kildare GAA Rose of Tralee Selection and Music Events.
Having the facilities in the Community Complex and the recently opened Childrens Playground, we provide a safe environment for organisations such as the National Camping & Caravan Association to hold one of their regular family weekends. The Community Complex is also used by the Irish Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus, Kildare County Childcare Committee and The Humpty Dumpty Club.